It's Showtime!Select Broilers for show.
Cull birds that would have defects that would cause disqualification. Handle birds in cool weather to avoid stress.
Criteria for Show Pen Selection:Length of breast bone
- Measure from the "V" in the breast to the end point of the breast (keel) bone.
- The longer the breast (keel) bone the better.
- Deep bodied birds will exhibit more muscle mass.
- Width of the breast muscle: Using your hand, measure the width of the breast muscle.
- Wide breasted birds are desired.
- Measure the amount of taper (loss of muscling) as you evaluate the breast muscle toward the back of the breast (keel) bone.
- Minimal amount of taper is best.
ShowingHave birds clean and feathers in condition. Wash birds with a mild soap and dry bird before show. Oil combs and feet a couple of days in advance and again before show. Check for any defects that would disqualify you from the show. Practice handling birds and be knowledgeable in your project and animal.